COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in December 2019. The first Ohio cases were identified in Cuyahoga County on March 9, 2020. Symptoms, which generally appear two to 14 days after exposure, include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Most people who become sick do not require hospitalization.
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) recommends the following precautions:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; dry hands with a clean towel or air dry hands.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are unavailable.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
The World Health Organization (WHO) believes COVID-19 more severely affects older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes). These individuals are advised to avoid large, public gatherings during the spread of the disease.
Depending on the severity of the spread in our area, public health officials may recommend postponing or canceling community actions to limit further spreading. Lodges should treat such recommendations with the same seriousness they give to other emergencies such as a Level 3 ban from driving during snowstorms. The Grand Lodge would never expect a Lodge to violate a public safety directive. We also ask that Lodges take measures to clean regularly to ensure they do not incubate any illness unintentionally.
The Ohio Department of Health has set up a call center to answer your questions regarding COVID-19. The call center is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and can be reached at 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
Monday, March 16
Effectively immediately, our Grand Master has declared all Lodge activities, including but not limited to Stated Meetings, Annual Inspections, Ceremonies, Grand Master Receptions, the Grand Masters Class event and Special Meetings of all Ohio Lodges holding allegiance under the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio to be CANCELLED through May 10, 2020. The following directives will support continued business during this period where meetings are restricted:
- All usual and customary bills for utilities, taxes, and services acted upon by the Lodge can be approved with consent of the Worshipful Master, Senior Warden, Junior Warden, Secretary and Treasurer during this period. Phone or email are acceptable modes of communication and should be recorded by the Secretary.
- No Lodge will be disciplined for not meeting the minimum required meetings according to our Code this Masonic year due to this national pandemic.
This directive applies to all Masonic Lodges, their craft clubs, committees, Temple Companies, social events, and District Associations. These guidelines and directives apply to all Ohio Masons including appendant Ohio Masonic orders.
We will continue to provide regular updates to these guidelines as changes develop. Meetings and events will be rescheduled at a future time.
Sunday, April 5th
Effective Monday, April 6th, all Ohio Masonic Lodges are permitted to conduct virtual Stated Meetings. More information on how to properly conduct a virtual Stated Meeting in this manner is provided in this linked Dispensation.
- Ritual work of any type or nature, candidate examinations, and candidate balloting are not permitted.
- Masonic Funeral Services, if scheduled, are permitted at the request of the family and with members who volunteer to be present and maintain social distancing.
- This Dispensation is intended to provide a temporary alternate method for a Lodge to hold Stated meetings only. It does not limit any other individually organized virtual fellowship activities we all enjoy. This Dispensation will remain in effect and will not expire until further notice when the permission for groups to meet in person is granted.
Wednesday, April 22nd
Our Grand Master’s Reception has been postponed until further notice. Please continue to send in your checks for tickets and booklet advertisements. In the event that the event is cancelled, checks will be returned accordingly.
Monday, May 5th
Friday, May 29th
By Edict of our Grand Master, cancellation of all Masonic activity has been extended through June 12th.
- Interim Guidance for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Ohio Department of Health – Coronavirus Disease 2019 Frequently Asked Questions
- What you need to know about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019
- What to do if you are sick with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)